One of the biggest lessons I’ve learned in my life is that we are our own worst enemies. The mental borders we place on ourselves are defining our present and future.
Knowing that you can do anything in your life, why would you choose anything else than something great and wonderful? It’s not as easy as it sounds.
The fact is that today we live very comfortable life. With almost any job you can afford a food on the table, a place to live in and pay your bills.
I am not saying that working something to survive is not okay. I just don’t think that we should stall our personal and professional growth by sticking around the comfort zone and covering in warm blanket.
The fact is that we have limited time on this earth, something that many people fail to realize. If you know you can be gone tomorrow, what would you do today? We should be asking ourselves this question every morning.
Let go of these 20 mental barriers and your life will change almost instantly:
1. Let go of attachments: Attachment is one of the roots of all suffering. Do not take pride in your possessions which are of temporary nature. We must be grateful for the things we already have because we are more than enough as we are right now.
2. Let go of guilt: Feeling deep sense of guilt in our mind will distract positivity. What could guilt possibly solve? If you name a thing I will agree with you and pull back my words… yeah, that’s what I thought.
3. Let go of self-criticism: A constant fear of self-criticism turns one to a situation of disempowerment. It is very interesting that people who say: “I am not good with names” will never be good with names. If you feed yourself with things you are not good at, there is no chance you are going to improve in them.
4. Let go of prejudices: A prejudiced mind is another serious mental barrier that promotes ill feelings, resentment, turns risky and becomes a serious road block for a good, healthy relationship. If you have preconceived opinion that is not based on reason or actual experience, then you are living in an illusion. As a matter of fact, what you say about people, doesn’t really say much about them, but it says a lot about you.
5. Let go of Negative thinking: Negativity creates a dark aura that does not permit optimism to seep in. Your thoughts portray themselves in the physical reality. Would you put cr*p on your food and eat it? Then why would you do that to your brain?
Must Read: The Ultimate Guide To Become Successful Under Any Given Circumstances
6. Let go of compulsive thinking: Many people have no control over their thoughts. They let small, made up stories create an entire chain of uncontrolled thoughts preoccupy their life. And the thing is that these made-up stories don’t end up happily ever after. They end up in dismay that is taking a tool on our mental health which later on shows itself in the physical reality.
7. Seeking other’s approval: No matter how good you do, some people will always have something negative to say. People will never fully accept what you do, let alone approve you. Let of of it because it will never make you truly happy with yourself.
8. Let go of grudges: Holding grudges can make you angry, even if it’s below the surface. It has the power to control your life and paralyze your self-control. Instead, ask yourself: Why did this situation make me feel angry? Why they didn’t meet with my expectations? Was it something that I did that made them act like they did? These questions will reveal a lot about you which you can use to improve yourself.
9. Let go of limiting beliefs: Our beliefs are the basic pillars in our consciousness. If you believe that you cannot make $1.000.000 dollars in the next 2 years, guess what? You will never make it. And what’s interesting is that even if you believe that you can, you still might not earn that amount, but you will be a lot closer to that $1 mil if you do, right?
10. Let go of postponing things for tomorrow: Sometimes we are terrible at taking action right now, but great at postponing things for tomorrow, the 1st of the month, or next Monday. This connects with the thing we mentioned above: we are mortal human beings. All we have is right now. No one guarantees you tomorrow. I will ask you again: what would you do if this was the last day in your life?
11. Let go of anxious thoughts: We cannot fully remove these thoughts. The thing we can do is to take away their power when they are weak.
For this, I suggest you to read after: 5 Things You Must Do To Uncover The Endless Potential That Is Slowly Dying In You
12. Let go of a heartbreak: We have this biased belief that a lot of time has to pass for us to overcome something painful. I know it might sound harsh, but you are 1 second away from feeling great after a heartbreak. Why does things have to unroll in years when they can be fixed within few days? Learn from your mistakes in the last relationship and move on.
13. Let go of painful memories: In a way, these painful situations can be anything from the loss of a loved one to a broken heart or a job failure. But, if we stop to think for a second, we’ll realize that on a daily basis we experience many astonishing, beautiful and pleasant situations. A kiss from a child, a call from someone you hadn’t spoken to in a while, eating your favorite fruit, reading a few pages from your favorite book… these are all things to be grateful for. Look at it this way: the pain you hold on to, is a teacher that is trying to teach you a lesson. It will stay with you until you pass the test.
14. Let go of useless things: In a funny way, useless things can shackle us. Even if you think about them for a second, it still has power over you. What I do with my useless things is that I mostly donate them. This way you relieve yourself of them and do good for others. A win-win situation.
15. Let go of bad company: You are the average of the 5 people you spend the most time with. If you are surrounded with negative and pessimistic people, do not expect you to be any different.
16. Let go of the past: One of the most effective ways to heal from hurt is to learn the lessons from the situation and use it to focus on growth and forward momentum. If we get stuck in thinking about what “should’ve could’ve been,” we can become immobilized in painful feelings and memories.
17. Let go of identifying with roles: This one is very underrated mental barrier. We are one particular person with the family, another with our friends, and completely third with our co-workers. When you break this down, it means that your identity is scattered in 10 places, while adapting habits that you really don’t want to have just to be “OK” around people. This can severely affect your mental health. Look at #7 again. You can’t please everyone. At least try to please yourself.
18. Let go of taking criticism to heart: It’s okay to take criticism, but it’s harmful to take criticism to heart. When you take things to heart, you let them affect your mental health which can impact your overall health. The point is to get better based on what people say about you. Take criticism on the surface, improve yourself, and let it perish.
19. Let go of the immortal clock: I know this may sound morbid, but your time is limited. I don’t know how many times I should say or write this so you’d truly grasp it and live by it. Call your grandparents, make that move, plan out your financial independence and take action… tomorrow can be too late.
20. Let go of counterproductive habits: Scrolling through TikTok and Instagram watching funny cats and dogs? Let it go. Stop wasting your time by falling in the trap of the entertainment industry. Let go of everything that doesn’t improve you on personal and professional level.
These are some of the most important factors that act as our mental barriers. Dare to reboot your life 180 degrees for the better by letting go of these mental barriers. I would suggest you to read these all over again and know that they have the power to change your entire life for the better almost instantly!